You’re going to freak at how delish & easy this spread is to make! If I had to describe it in a few words, I’d say it’s the epitome of if hummus & cashew vegan cheese had a baby!
It’s thick, yet silky smooth & totally spreadable, made with very minimal real food ingredients, full of flavour, antioxidants, beta-carotene & vitamin C, a great way to sneak in an extra dose of veggies, super versatile: use it as a spread on toast or rice cakes, a dip for veggies, topper for bowls or dip your fave lean or plant-based protein into it for extra flavour & nutrients!
These days, it’s so hard to find a store-bought dip or spread that’s not made with vegetable & canola oils & that doesn’t contain table salt or additives, preservatives & gums. That’s why I believe that homemade is always best!
Homemade Oil-Free Carrot & Cumin Spread
- 1 bag carrots, peeled & chopped coarsely
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. dried basil or other dried herb of choice
- Add the carrots to a large skillet filled with water & bring to a boil. Boil the carrots for about 25-30 minutes, until softened (you’ll know they’re ready when you can stick a fork through them smoothly).
- Add the boiled carrots & the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor & pulse until desired texture is obtained. You can keep it chunkier or pulse until it’s more silky & smooth. Scrape the sides as necessary, taste & adjust seasonings.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container. Enjoy!
And here’s a fun way to enjoy them: I topped 2 rice cakes with it, added some organic fenugreek sprouts, cucumbers, black pepper & nutritional yeast to add some cheesy nutty flavour!