Oh my goodness… when I tell you this date spread is legitimately the epitome of healthy homemade caramel, I’m not even kidding!!!!
It’s made with just 3 real food ingredients, no added sugars & it takes just 10 minutes to make from start to finish!
Use it as a spread for toast, rice cakes, bagels, crackers or as a dip for fruit, veggies or topping for smoothie bowls, oatmeal, chia pudding or use it as a sweetener for your coffee by heating it up with some boiling water!
Dates are PACKED with fibre & antioxidants, amino acids, vitamin K for bone health & vitamin D absorption & provide an amazing source of quick energy! They’re lower glycemic than many other natural sweeteners & they promote good digestion, prevent iron deficiency anemia & boost nervous system health! Some research has even shown that they act as natural aphrodisiacs!
I sweetened it with vanilla but you can add another sweetener (though I don’t find it needs it since they’re so naturally sweet already!). You can also add cinnamon, raw cacao, nutmeg, etc.
- 20-25 medjool dates, pitted (at room temperature or soaked for 10-15 min. to soften)
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla OR any other sweetener of choice
- 1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- Warm water as needed
- Add the dates to your food processor & pulse until they clump into a sticky ball.
- Slowly add in warm water as needed to thin it out & turn it into more of a paste/jam consistency.
- Add the vanilla & sea salt & pulse again until combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!