Many of us are preoccupied with feeling out of tune with our hunger cues (& there’s no denying that’s important), but far less of us are concerned with how in tune we are with our thoughts.
If you feel this describes you, I get it.
I’ve been there & I also have off days where I still feel that way.
So the million dollar question… how do you get more in tune with your thoughts so you can take control of them before they control you?
YOU ACTIVELY DECIDE that you WANT to & you incorporate daily habits to get there.
Here are some of the ones that work for me:
- When you feel a negative thought creeping or you engage in negative self-talk, STOP & flip it around. It can be as simple as turning “My smile is crooked” into “My smile is unique & that makes me beautiful” or “I have no willpower because I ate that brownie” into “That brownie was delish & eating it doesn’t take away from my worth or progress”.
- When you feel tempted to repress your emotions, face them instead, even if it means living a difficult moment or bawling your eyes out. Repression ALWAYS has a way of coming out & when it does, it hits you 10x harder.
- REFLECT. Is there a pattern in what’s going on around you when you feel a loss of control over your thoughts? If so, what can you do to detoxify your environment & get rid of the triggers or adopt coping mechanisms to rise above them?
- When the going gets rough, breathe, even if you have things to do. Your mental health should be a priority because without it, you won’t be efficient in other areas of your life.
- Positive self-talk; it can be as simple as looking at yourself in the mirror & telling yourself how strong, beautiful, inspiring or kind you are. Write it down if you have to. 100x over.
- Remind yourself you’re not alone & it can ALWAYS be worse. Embrace what you’re going through & know that you’ll get through it & learn something valuable from it!