Another week, another plant-based milk!
This week on the menu is homemade golden flaxseed milk:
1) because I love the taste of flax
2) it’s easy & doesn’t require soaking time &
3) it’s very nutritious!
Flaxseed should ALWAYS be ground before consuming in order to ensure that the beneficial properties are released (if you buy them whole, you can grind them in your food processor/blender).
Flax is a great source of anti-inflammatory, gut & skin healing omega fatty acids, fibre, plant protein & amino acids. It improves cholesterol, digestion & may help lower blood pressure, revs metabolism & boosts the body’s ability to burn fat, contains antioxidants, magnesium, potassium, manganese, iron, B vitamins, copper & lignans (great for heart health), it helps pull toxins & debris out of the colon & has anti-viral & anti bacterial properties.
Use this milk in oats, chia pudding, coffee, baked recipes or simply drink it as is with breaky! You can sweeten it to your liking with dates, vanilla, raw honey, maple or yacon syrup! It’s dairy, nut & grain free & super silky smooth!
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 5-6 cups filtered water
- 2 pitted medjool dates, soaked in warm water for 5 min.
- 1/2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- Soak the dates in warm water.
- Add the flax & water to your blender & blend for 2 min.
- Once blended, pour the milk into a nut milk bag or strainer lined with a dish cloth over a bowl & strain any leftover pulp.
- Rinse blender & add the strained milk back in with the add-ins. Blend again for 2 min.
- Pour the milk into a mason jar or other glass bottle & let stand for about 10-15 min.
- Cover & refrigerate!
- The milk should last about 4 days in the fridge!