This tea is a staple in my kitch & something I love to have on hand, especially during the cold winter months! I like to sip on it in the afternoon & often add in fresh lemon, raw or manuka honey, ceylon cinnamon or cayenne!
It’s great for gut health, to relieve bloating, soothe a sore throat or heal cold/flu symptoms, boosts immunity & antioxidant protection & it’s caffeine-free!
In the winter, it’s important to feed our bodies with warming foods & spices & this tea is the perfect way to do so! Usually, I just make it with turmeric & ginger but today, I added some chaga mushroom chunks to give it an immunity-boosting, energizing & stress/anxiety relieving kick! I use the Suro chaga.
PRO TIP: When using turmeric in recipes, whether raw or ground, it’s always important to combine it with black peppercorn to activate the beneficial compound, curcuma, known for all the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory & anti-bacterial properties!
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled & sliced
- 1.5 tsp. ground turmeric
- 8-10 black peppercorn pieces
- 4-5 chunks chaga mushroom
- Enough water to fill a large deep skillet
TO MAKE IT:
- Fill a deep skillet with water about 3/4 way through. Add all the other ingredients & bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer & let simmer for about an hour.
- Remove from the heat & let sit for another hour or two – the longer the better!
- Once it’s done, strain it over a large metal bowl to remove the ginger/peppercorn & chaga & pour into mason jars.
- Store in the fridge!