This is the most perfect bread recipe I ever made (not to mention one of the simplest!)
It’s vegan, gluten, grain, oil & refined sugar-free, high fibre & protein, looks, tastes & feels like toast, toasts to perfection, full of flavour, egg, dairy & yeast free… basically, it’s everything you want in bread & MORE!
Chickpea flour is a great alternative to other gluten-free flours because it’s also grain-free & higher in fibre, protein, vitamins, minerals & antioxidants! Since it’s high fibre, it keeps you full, regulates digestion, curbs sugar cravings & prevents spikes in blood sugar.
Top the toast with both sweet or savoury toppings & even throw in the spices of your choice if you want to make it more savoury (add dried herbs) or sweeter (add nutmeg or Ceylon cinnamon)!
I had it for lunch today & it was ON FIRE. I like to call it LUNCH GOALS. This meal came together in MINUTES thanks to my bff #mealprep! All you need are a few staples on hand to put together delicious & super healthy meals! It’s so worth it (IMO anyway!).
Here’s the deal: 2 slices of my homemade chickpea flour bread (scroll through my feed for the recipe I made this weekend!) topped with my homemade turmeric hummus & broiled smoky eggplant with a side of green cabbage tossed with my maple caramelized sweet potato (recipe also on my feed), bell peppers, cucumbers & mixed with fresh lemon, apple cider vinegar & dried herbs!
- 1.5 cups organic chickpea flour
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 1.5 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. organic sesame seeds (& more for topping)
- 2 tbsp. psyllium husks
- Preheat oven to 425F & line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients (except psyllium husks) to a bowl & whisk until all lumps are gone.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan & gently fold in the psyllium husks with a spatula, making sure there are no chunks. Top with more sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425F.
- Lower heat to 350F & bake again for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven & let cool for 20-30min. before slicing so it firms up & holds together perfectly.
- Store in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze to preserve freshness! I vacuum pack them by using my Food Saver.
- When ready to eat, pop in the toaster, add toppings & enjoy!
PSA: here’s how I made my own version of chocolate almond butter: Simply add 1/2 tbsp. creamy almond better & 1/2 tsp. raw unsweetened organic cacao powder to a bowl & mix! BAM. Clean real chocolatey deliciousness! Spread it on this toast & I promise you won’t be disappointed!