Even if you don’t celebrate, here’s a good reason to pretend: SOUFGANIYOT!
As a kid, I counted down to Chanukah because it meant I got to have my Moroccan grandmother’s « beignets », certainly not the healthiest, definitely deep fried in canola oil & full of sugar & wait for it… drumroll please… dip them in HONEY… yes, the refined sugar of honey; the teddy bear bottle!
Safe to say those days are in the past but the memories make me so happy! Honestly, I’m not sure you could EVER make them totally healthy & I mean… #balance right?! It’s the holiday & if you’re gonna do donuts, might as well do ‘em right!
I tried to keep them as healthy ISH as possible. I used organic eggs, avocado oil vs. canola, no yeast, oat milk vs. dairy milk, no refined sugar or icing & i fried them in avocado oil too!
You can stuff them with jam or chocolate if you want but you’ll need to do so shortly after they’re ready & you need a piping bag!
They take 20 minutes & because there’s no yeast, there’s no waiting time! They’re golden brown, crispy on the outside & chewy on the inside, sweet & the perfect Chanukah treat!
- 2 organic free-range eggs
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 4 tbsp. avocado oil (& more for frying)
- 3 cups whole-wheat sprouted flour
- Cane sugar for drizzling
- Place eggs & sugar in a bowl & whisk until creamy.
- Add oil & milk & mix again. Fold in the flour with a spatula. Fill a deep pot with avocado oil & heat on medium for 2-3 min. Don’t let it get too hot or the outsides will burn before the inside cooks.
- Roll the batter into bite-sized balls & drop them in the oil. Fry until golden on all sides.
- Place layers of paper towel on a plate & as they’re ready, let them drain on the plate to remove oil.
- Sprinkle with cane sugar & enjoy!!