For those of you who don’t know, I’ve been drinking raw beet juice every AM on an empty stomach (about 10-15 minutes after my lemon, aloe, chlorophyll water) since September 30th.
Initially, I challenged myself to 30 days after my naturopath recommended it, but after the first 30 days, I felt SO amazing & it became such a consistent part of my AM routine that I didn’t want to stop or take a break from! So simply put, I didn’t!
When I first started, I didn’t really have any crazy expectations – I just figured it would be a fun new thing to add to my routine to change things up a bit & to help make improve my digestion. There was nothing particularly wrong but I felt inclined to try after my naturopath informed me of some of the amazing benefits.
In a nutshell, beets have tons of benefits from antioxidants to natural energy boosting properties to being full of vitamin C & other vitamins & minerals. When it comes to gut health, there are a few that stand out to me & that I think you guys will love too:
- stimulate digestion & the breakdown of food in the intestines, allowing for things to pass more smoothly
- protect our body’s own natural enzymes, which allows us to digest & absorb nutrients from food more easily, boosting energy levels in the process & keeping metabolism on track
- fight inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract & prevent issues like chronic bloating, constipation, diarrhea & leaky gut syndrome
- natural detoxifier
- boost liver health by stimulating liver cells, allowing the liver to get rid of toxins & prevent fatty acid buildup
What have I noticed so far?
- It gives me a ton of energy before my AM workouts & really boosts my performance (on fire literally!)
- My digestion is on fleek & I’m more regular than ever.
- My skin is hydrated, glowy & breakouts have been a lot less frequent (*knocks on wood*)
- I have WAY LESS sugar cravings (hardly any)
- I feel lighter – no bloating & no inflammation
Other potential benefits: regulates blood pressure, detoxifies liver, lowers cholesterol, strengthens bones & boosts immunity.
How do I make it?
I don’t have a juicer so I use my blender & a nut milk bag & I prep enough for 2 mornings at a time (any longer & you run the risk of the juice oxidizing).
- Add 3 cups filtered water & 1 raw organic beet (ALWAYS organic because most beets are otherwise GMO) to your blender & blend for 30 seconds (you can add ginger, turmeric, parsley or cilantro, but I do just the beets)
- Pour the juice into a bowl lined with a nut milk bag/dishcloth & strain
- Store the juice in an opaque jar or container to prevent oxidation & refrigerate immediately!
I drink 1/2 the bottle each AM (equivalent of 1/2 beet).
ALWAYS REMEMBER, like with any lifestyle habit or supplement you incorporate, consistency is key if you want to see long-term & lasting results! You can’t expect to drink beet juice 1X/week whenever the mood strikes you & have wrinkle-free skin & a killer digestive system.
Being & feeling healthy takes hard work, discipline & commitment!
Lastly, keep in mind I’m sharing what works for me & the only way you’ll know if it’s for you is trial & error! Hope this helps babes, xx!