This recipe is a plant-based spin-off of one of my mom’s go-to recipes for Friday night dins & holidays… if you know, you know: “LES PIMENTS FARCIS” 🌶!
It’s a traditional Moroccan meal where bell peppers are stuffed with minced meat, cooked rice, veggies & spices & her recipe was BOMB!
I’ve been feeling all things warm & comforting with the colder weather upon us, so this simple recipe was the perfect fix!
Lentils have quickly become one of my fave sources of plant protein, not just because of their protein content but also because they mimic the flavour profile & texture of ground meats the most & provide so much more fibre, good carbs, vitamins & minerals!
If lentils aren’t your jam, you can stuff the peppers with any animal/plant protein source of your choice: ground turkey, chicken, beef, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice… the possibilities are endless!
Serve them with a side of grilled or roasted veggies & you’re good to go!
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 & 1/3 cup sprouted lentils or other protein of choice (cooked)
- 4-5 green onions
- 4 tsp. raw Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. kimchi or sauerkraut or fermented veggies of choice
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 15-20 mushrooms, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the tops off your peppers & remove the seeds.
- Prepare the stuffing by adding all the ingredients to a bowl & mix until combined.
- Stuff the peppers & place them on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 20-22 minutes until browned & top looks crisp, then broil on high for 3 minutes, but watch closely so they don’t burn!