One of the most common questions I get is WHY ARE MY PORES CLOGGED?! Understandably so! Nobody likes clogged pores or dealing with congested breakout-y skin, but we’re all human & it happens to the best of us! The key is having a few tips in your back pocket for how to keep your skin healthy & pores clear long-term, as opposed to using band-aid solutions!
Pores get clogged when sweat, dirt, makeup, toxins, oil or dead skin cells get trapped in the opening of the pore & seep into the deep layers of skin, potentially leading to infection, inflammation &/or acne.
First, it’s important to understand WHY pores are clogged:
- are you cleansing post-workout?
- are you taking off makeup before bed?
- are you eating lots of refined sugar, processed & fried food & not enough fruits, veggies, antioxidants & skin-clarifying foods?
- are you taking care of your gut?
- are you using high-quality skincare to fight acne & exfoliate dead skin?
Here are some of my tips:
- CLEANSE (but don’t overdo it!): Cleansing is crucial because it pulls impurities out, opens pores & gets rid of bacteria; always be careful with foam cleansers as they may damage the skin’s moisture barrier & make oily skin oilier & dry skin drier (in fact, believe it or not, if you have very oily skin, it’s actually better to fight the oil & control oil production with oil cleansers so that your skin doesn’t get dried out by foam cleansers & overcompensate by producing more oil).
- EXFOLIATE: enzyme & chemical exfoliation with AHA/BHA is your #BFF; AHA actively breaks apart the « glue » holding dull dead skin on the surface & BHA penetrates deeper to remove dead cells & excess sebum; exfoliation also enhances absorption of your other skincare.
- To read more about my fave exfoliation products, click here: My Go-To Exfoliation Products
- EAT FOR BEAUTY & TAKE CARE OF YOUR GUT: say buh-bye to your high glycemic diet rich in sugar & simple carbs as it triggers overproduction of oil & go for lower glycemic foods, whole grains, greens, beans, probiotics, fruits & veggies.
- DAIRY/GLUTEN ELIMINATION DIET: do one at a time & see how your skin reacts with each elimination; both can be inflammatory triggers if you have oily or acne-prone skin.
- To read more about how I cut dairy, click here: My Tips To Make The Transition To a Dairy-Free Lifestyle Easier
- BLOT OIL AWAY: soak up excess oil during the day with blotting papers (vs. reapplying makeup & setting powders) to reduce the risk of congestion. I use Tatcha blotting papers.
- WASH YOUR HANDS & CLEAN YOUR FACE AFTER EATING OILY FOOD!
- FIND A SKINCARE ROUTINE THAT WORKS & STICK TO IT: Don’t over-activate your skin or try new products every week.
- CLAY, SULFUR, CHARCOAL, OATMEAL & HYALURONIC ACID are key!
- My fave clay products are Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleanser, Tata Harper Clarifying Mask, Charlotte Tilbury Clay Mask & Boscia Luminizing Clay Pink Mask
- My fave sulfur product is the Murad Sulfur Mask
- My fave activated charcoal product is the Clear Improvement Mask
- My fave oatmeal product is the First Aid Beauty Skin Repair Mask
- My fave hyaluronic acid products are the B-Hydra Gel Moisturizer & the Corpa Flora Hyaluronic Acid serum
- EGYPTIAN MAGIC (use it daily or as an overnight mask!) & NON-GENDER SPECIFIC SERUM for 2 all-around pore refining antibacterial skin glowing essentials!
- Nothing like proper HYDRATION to keep our skin glowing from the inside out!
- TRY NOT TO STRESS TOO MUCH; it gets better I promise, but it takes time & stress wrecks with hormones & makes it worse!