Deep Friday AM thoughts: thank goodness for magnesium… my muscles’ saving grace!
Did you guys know that magnesium is used in over 300 reactions in the body?!
YET… SO MANY OF US ARE DEFICIENT IN IT!
There are many different types of Magnesium. I take magnesium citrate (the one by Natural Factors), one of the most easily absorbed by our bodies. Always remember before starting to take magnesium or any supplement, it’s important to talk to your doctor, especially if you’re taking other medication consistently.
What are the benefits?
- counterbalances high levels of calcium & helps in the structural development of bone & synthesis of DNA, RNA & certain antioxidants
- helps with vitamin D assimilation
- creates energy in the body by activating ATP (our energy currency)
- vital for GABA function, a neurotransmitter that produces happy hormones, like serotonin, calms the brain, promotes relaxation & reduces brain fog
- quiets a racing mind, relaxes muscle contraction, helps heart rate & promotes restful sleep (can help treat insomnia)
- relaxes muscles in the digestive tract & neutralizes stomach acid, moving stool through the intestines
- plays a role in neurotransmitter signals & muscle contractions & prevents muscle spasms
- regulates calcium & potassium transport in the body, which helps nerve impulses & normal heart rhythms
- supports blood pressure & prevent hypertension
- improves blood circulation & reduces migraine pain by releasing pain-reducing hormones
- balances blood sugar
- helps in the absorption of minerals & metabolism
Some other supplements that contain magnesium that I like to use every now & then are the Calm Magnesium Powder (I use the unsweetened original one), ConcenTrace Electrolyte drops by Trace Minerals Research & ZMA (Zinc, magnesium & vitamin B-6 for days when I go really hard at the gym & want to make sure my muscles recover properly!).