As you guys know, I’ve been focusing on eating more protein to reap more results from my workouts & I’m feeling amazing & more energized than ever!
When I get home from a double workout, I like to prep breakfast (usually chia pudding, oats or toast with avo/hummus) & a protein shake to really make sure I’m refuelling enough! Instead of using fruit on both my breaky & smoothie, I’ve been opting for a fruit-free smoothie so that my meal is more balanced & not full of sugar! Natural sugar is better for you but it’s still sugar, so I make little efforts like these whenever I can!
This deliciousness has been my go-to all week! It’s so simple yet so delicious & it’s virtually sugar-free (minus the bluebs I use sometimes as a topping!). It’s thick, creamy, chocolatey, contains 26g of protein & literally gives me all the chocolate milkshake feels!
People think I’m nuts for loading my smoothies with steamed then frozen cauliflower but I do it anyway; seriously though, don’t knock it till you try it! It adds fibre, vitamins minerals, antioxidants, thick texture & cuts sugar & you legit don’t even taste it! Think of it as “vitamin-enhanced ice”.
HOW DO I STEAM/STORE IT?
- Cut the cauliflower & remove as much of the stem as possible (harder to digest).
- Place florets in a large skillet & cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low, cover & let simmer for about 4 minutes (you don’t want to get it too soft, just enough to pre-steam it to avoid bloating, gas or digestive issues!)
- Drain & rinse & let cool completely.
- Once cooled, freeze the florets on a plate to avoid clumping.
- Once frozen, place in a container or ziploc bag & use as needed!
TO MAKE THE SMOOTHIE:
- 1 cup steamed then frozen cauliflower
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 scoop vegan chocolate protein of choice
- Don’t have chocolate protein? Use regular protein & add some raw cacao powder!
- Ceylon cinnamon or a bit of raw cacao powder to sweeten
- OPTIONAL: Add 2/3 cup cold brew coffee for an extra caffeine kick