I don’t think I need to tell you that oral hygiene is important!
Tongue scraping is just one of many ways you can maintain it. I started doing it about 2 weeks ago every AM & PM & I love it!
Tongue scraping is a practice from Ayurvedic medicine that removes bacteria, debris & dead skin cells from tongue.
Research shows it actually performs BETTER than a toothbrush to reduce the production of sulfur compounds that cause bad breath & other oral hygiene issues.
PSA: it does NOT replace a toothbrush!
- removes undigested food particles, bacteria, dead skin cells & toxins from tongue
- treats “white tongue” (the result of food debris, bacteria & dead cells lodged on the surface of the tongue)
- improves tastebuds & sense of taste
- by removing toxins, it prevents them from being re-absorbed into the body & bloodstream, improving immunity & digestion (digestion begins in the mouth & with tastebuds!)
- activates saliva production & promotes the body’s digestive function (known as “agni” in Ayurvedic medicine)
- slows growth of plaque & dental decay
- makes you feel fresh & clean!
WHICH ONE I USE?: I have the Dr. Tung’s one made with high-quality stainless steel, which is immune to bacteria, feels comfy & gentle on the tongue & has soft grip handles!
I NEED the mirror because I have zero coordination (real talk).
- Open your mouth, stick your tongue out & set the rounded end of the tongue scraper at the back of your tongue (if you have a bad gag reflex, start at the middle & gradually start farther back as you get used to it).
- Gently pull the scraper forward towards the tip of your tongue (never push it from the tip to the back, always go from back to tip).
- After each scrape, use a tissue to remove any dirt from the scraper & repeat until nothing comes of anymore!
- After use, I wash it with warm water & Dr. Bronner’s Castille soap!
It’s cheap, takes 2 minutes, has tons of benefits & is a form of self-care to me!