I made sprouted lentils for dinner but I worked out like a beast the other night & my body was craving a huge protein shake so that’s what I made instead!
I kept it simple because I was on the verge of becoming HANGRY, but it was so delish & I definitely nailed the texture!
I bet you’re wondering, why do I always add toppings to my smoothies?!
- For starters, they’re delicious! 🤤
- It allows your body to send a stimulus to the gut to begin secreting fluid; a lot of the behaviour of our intestinal tract is anticipatory – it has to work ahead of what’s happening & begin producing the enzyme BEFORE the food arrives!
- Research has actually shown that even before we eat a specific dish, our pancreas & stomach begin to secrete fluid for digestion (this is known as the cephalic phase of eating) & the brain is engaged to feed forward to the gut that food is coming (the brain basically preps the gut for food).
- So, if we were to compare a smoothie to a whole fruit or a bowl of spinach, you’d get more of this preparatory response from the whole fruit than you would from the smoothie because the whole fruit is perceived more as “food” & the smoothie more as “liquid”… so how do you counter that to make sure your brain knows that food is coming & sends a response to your gut to start producing enzymes? ADD TOPPINGS THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY CHEW TO YOUR SMOOTHIES (hence the raspberries!)
Sorry for keeping you waiting… here’s how I whipped up this deliciousness!
- 1/2 cup homemade cashew milk
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower (always steam before freezing to facilitate digestion!)
- Splash pure organic vanilla extract
- DIY homemade pumpkin spice
- 1 serving Manitoba Harvest unsweetened hemp protein
Blend it all up, add toppings & enjoy!!