TBH, I LEGIT have no idea what I’d do without steel cut oats!
I made this bowl just how I always do & added chaga mushroom powder for energy & stress relief & cacao nibs for iron, magnesium, calcium & antioxidants! Delicious, rich, creamy, chocolatey & so satisfying!
- 1/2 cup cooked steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup homemade nut milk
- 1-2 tsp. chaga mushroom powder
- 1/2 tbsp. raw organic cacao nibs
- Toppings of choice
- Add the cooked oats, nut milk, ceylon cinnamon & raw cacao nibs to a small skillet & heat over medium heat until combined & all liquid is absorbed. Oats should be thick & creamy.
- Remove the oats from the stovetop, gently stir in the chaga powder.
- Add toppings & enjoy!
Speaking of magnesium & calcium, something I get asked a lot is HOW TO REDUCE WATER RETENTION? So why not share the love (a.k.a. my tips?)
- Avoid artificial sweeteners & flavours & cut sodium in packaged/processed foods
- Hydration (to prevent the body from holding onto limited water)
- Dandelion tea
- Chicory root
- Vitamin B6 (especially when it’s related to PMS)
- Eat more real food
- Fennel seed, cayenne, ginger or turmeric (raw or in capsule form)
- Parsley/cilantro/dill, leafy greens & chlorophyll for liver detox & blood purifying
- Lemon with sea salt (Celtic & Himalayan are my faves)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Aloe Vera
- Restore electrolytes (sodium from real food, potassium, calcium, magnesium), especially if you workout a lot. I like the @tracemineralsresearch magnesium drops
- Fermented foods & probiotics
- Digestive enzymes to give the body a little boost if it’s having trouble digesting certain foods
- Don’t starve yourself – it’ll only make things worse because your body will activate its “fight or flight” response system & elevate cortisol levels, which can cause more stress to the body, increase water retention & force the body to hold on to the little food & water it has
- Sweat it out or go for a walk to boost circulation!
- The most important thing to remember is that all these remedies are temporary fixes – it’s important to get to the root of what’s causing the issue: stress, hormones, lack of sleep, unhealthy gut, highly processed diet, inflammatory foods, alcohol etc. Fixing the underlying issue is the only way to truly cure it & to stop dealing with it chronically!