If you suffer from anxiety, you’re likely always looking for ways to cope & make it more manageable. Trust me, I know the struggle.
But I also know how real the struggle is for those who love & care about us most. Sometimes, they feel hopeless & they just really don’t know how to help.
So today, let’s talk about how they can help us help ourselves to reduce not only our suffering but their pain as well.
- Make sure we know you’re there for us when we need you most but don’t be too pushy; sometimes, we need to live & go through the emotions alone before we can let others in.
- Don’t misinterpret our behaviour & isolation as us not needing you; we need you more than ever, we simply don’t know how to express it.
- Remind us that it gets better so long as we put in the work; sometimes, we need a push to seek treatment.
- Some days, we might respond to your support differently than others but as hard as it is for you to anticipate our reactions, sometimes the anxiety is so real we don’t even know how we’ll react.
- Anxiety makes us associate asking for help with vulnerability & weakness; we eventually learn that our support systems are one of the most important things to help us cope (but sometimes, it takes time & even reaching rock bottom).
- Stay calm around us & be patient.
- Learn about anxiety to be better able to help; knowledge is power.
- The way we respond to your support is rarely because of you & more because of what we’re going through & how we feel; try not to take offence; we wish we could just snap out of it but we can’t.
- Don’t make us feel judged, victimized, inferior or deficient; let us know you’re on our side & instead of patronizing, empathize & be compassionate.
- If we don’t show up, it’s not because we don’t love you; we avoid social situations for underlying reasons that have nothing to do with you; we wish we could be there.
- As hard as it is to believe, know that we’re so grateful for you sticking by us & that we can’t wait for a life where we & you don’t have to suffer because of our condition.
- Never forget how much we love you!