My mentality when it comes to recipe testing (& tasting because let’s be honest, it’s too tempting not to) is USE WHAT YOU HAVE ON HAND! I absolutely love finding ways to make use of ingredients I have in my pantry because nothing goes to waste & it makes me use my imagination to improvise & come up with yummy creations!
I had lots of spelt flour on hand & was in the mood to bake something! Knowing that spelt flour is good for dense baked treats, I got inspired to make vegan biscotti & this delicious magic is the result!
It’s crumbly & crispy on the outside but so moist & chewy on the inside! The way the raisins caramelize is beyond & the mix of cashews & almonds adds the perfect crunch! This dipped in an almond milk latte… OH BABY!
Without further ado, let’s talk about how easy it is to make this (aka get cracking)!
BTW, I recommend using sprouted spelt flour to ensure easy digestion!
- 2 cups sprouted spelt flour
- 2/3 cup date or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 6 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk & more if needed
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mixed crumbled nuts
- 1/3 cup dried unsweetened raisins
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt & nuts/raisins) to a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray lightly with coconut oil.
- Add the coconut oil, almond milk & vanilla to a small bowl & whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix & knead gently until combined. If it’s too dry, add 1 tbsp. milk & mix.
- Shape the dough into a rectangular log shape ~1.5 inches wide.
- Place on the baking sheet & bake for 30 min. until lightly browned.
- Let the log cool for 10-15 min.
- Slice it with a bread knife, place on the baking sheet cut side down & bake again for 15 min. to get them crispy.
- Remove from the oven & enjoy!