Tonight’s dinnah was lookin’ “OHMAHGAWD”!!!
I used arugula as my base, then topped it with all the goods: smoked onion tempeh, avocado, tomatoes, lupini beans (btw, they’ve got more protein than chickpeas, juss’ sayin’), raw tigernuts, roasted Brussels sprouts & my homemade lemon apple cider vinaigrette!
Salads like these are fun because there are so many fun ways to customize them to your liking and based on what you have on hand! This one is made with so many ingredients that nourish the body & mind from the inside out!
- tempeh is something I eat sparingly because I try to limit my soy consumption & opt for other sources of plant-based protein, but it’s also something I really enjoy every once in a while, especially this smoked one by Aux Vivres! When I do eat tempeh or any soy whatsoever, I always make sure it’s organic & non-GMO & if possible, fermented; it’s full of plant protein & healthy fats & a great way to get in vital vitamins & minerals like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, B-vitamins & potassium.
- avocados are an amazing source of anti-inflammatory fatty acids that nourish the gut, immune system, skin & hair, not to mention they also pack some fibre, protein, antioxidants & immunity-boosting vitamin C & E.
- lupini beans are something I discovered a few months ago that are actually a miracle for us plant-based foodies because they are SO rich in protein & fibre, so rich that they even beat chickpeas!! they’re super delicious, have a nutty crunchy flavour & texture & mix so well in bowls, salads, wraps, sandwiches or as a mid-afternoon muncher!
- tigernuts are one of my fave sources of prebiotic fibre, which is so necessary to maintain a healthy gut; our healthy gut bacteria (probiotics) need to be nourished & fuelled with prebiotics in order to continue to thrive, grow & outnumber the bad – prebiotics are therefore super helpful when it comes to gut health, immunity, energy levels, healthy digestion & metabolism of macros.
All this to say, this salad is a powerhouse! It was a hella lazy one but SO GOOD & SO NUTRITIOUS!
Here’s how to put this baby together!
- 2 cups arugula or other greens of choice
- 1/4 cup smoked onion tempeh or tofu
- 1/4 cup lupini beans or chickpeas/black beans
- 1 tbsp. raw organic tigernuts or other nuts/seeds of choice
- roasted veggies of choice (or throw in some other veggies you love)
- homemade salad dressing (I used my My Go-To Homemade Lemon Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Add all the ingredients to a plate or mixing bowl, season with the dressing, toss to coat & enjoy!