Today’s cold weather had me feeling a warm & comforting veggie soup, but if you know me, you know it’s not just a simple veggie soup because I always like to be a little extra!
The base? I used King Soba Noodle Ginger pumpkin noodles (made with just brown rice flour, ginger & pumpkin). The noodles are organic & gluten/wheat-free, full of protein, vitamins & minerals, yummy & flavourful!
So, you can imagine that the base was already killing it, right? But then… I made my take on an Asian-ish inspired veggie soup with coconut aminos (this ingredient replaced any & all soy & teriyaki sauces in my kitchen about 2 years ago & I’d never go back! It has 75% less sodium than soy sauce, tons of beneficial enzymes, it’s raw, delicious, non-GMO, gluten-free, REAL FOOD & gives you everything you’d get from soy sauce flavour-wise, but with a little touch of natural sweetness & tons of other health benefits that you would NOT get from soy sauce). Not to mention, the high sodium content in soy sauce is often the cause of bloating & other digestive issues for many people, especially those with more sensitive GI tracts.
I also loaded it up with anti-inflammatory turmeric, ginger & cayenne because I’m all about digestive health & anything that fights inflammation.
I threw in some chickpeas for extra protein but you can add chicken, shrimp, beef, tofu, tempeh or any other bean/legume of choice. It definitely hit the spot & it’s tots my definition of comfort food. Serve it with your fave toast, pita, rice cakes, crackers or croutons & BAM!
The best part? It’s ready in 30 minutes!
YOU NEED (for 2 large bowls):
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/2-1 tsp. turmeric
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (If you don’t have it, replace with low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 serving soba noodles (I used King Soba Noodles Ginger pumpkin noodles)
- 4-5 cups water (or veggie broth or 1/2 each)
- Roasted veggies (or add broccoli, cauliflower or Brussels when sautéing the other veggies)
- 1/3 cup organic chickpeas or any other legume or bean of choice
- TOPPINGS: Nutritional yeast & green onion
- Spray a medium deep skillet with avocado oil, heat over medium-high heat, add the onion & sauté it for about 3-4 min., until browned & fragrant.
- Add the carrots & celery & sauté for 5 min.
- Add the water (or broth), aminos & spices, lower heat to a simmer & cover.
- Simmer for 15-20 min. until bubbly & veggies are softened.
- Add the noodles & boil for another few minutes until they’re submerged & cooked through (I like mine al denté).
- Throw in the roasted veggies & chickpeas. Stir to warm them with the rest of the soup.
- Remove from heat, top with green onions, nutritional yeast & black pepper & ENJOY!