I made these cookies on the eve of Yom Kippur (the longest fast day in the Jewish religion & probably one of the days I hate the most because this chick loves food) & let me tell ya they came in hella handy when my sis & I broke the fast, a.k.a. we each must have had two… or three.
THEY’RE THAT GOOD.
They’re chocolatey, delicious, crumbly on the outside, chewy on the inside, decadent, indulgent, comforting, nutritious, grain, gluten & refined sugar-free, vegan & GUARANTEED TO BE LOVED BY ALL!
BTW, if ever you’re in a sitch where you gotta fast (& I pray for you that you never are), here are some of my pre, during & post-fast tips to get you through it!
- drink lots of water to stay hydrated as long as possible
- eat a full balanced meal & try not to omit food groups/macros & LOAD up on fibre (keeps you fuller)
- eat until full & satisfied but not disgustingly full
- don’t have coffee right before – it’s a diuretic & dehydrates the body
- avoid simple carbs (white sugar/flour/pastries/bread) – the body digests them quick & they provide no nutrition or fullness
- go for complex carbs that take longer to digest & provide sustained energy
- avoid excessive salt – it triggers thirst
- keep busy/distracted: read, study, spend time with fam/friends, sleep-in/nap, clean room
- don’t think/talk about food or count down the hours
- don’t chill in the kitch – we associate it with food
- try not to walk too much – it’ll tire you out & you’ll dehydrate faster
- eat slowly & take breaks – the digestive system needs to pick up & enzymes need to be triggered after 25 hrs. of being inactive – this helps prevent bloating
- eat until full & satisfied
- don’t try to make up for 25 hrs. of not eating/avoid binging
- rehydrate with water, then have coffee
- reach for fibre & complex carbs, not simple ones (they’ll cause a spike in blood sugar while complex ones will fill you up & prevent spikes)
- don’t reach for sugar/sweets right away
- get back on track tomorrow!
- 1 cup cassava flour (I didn’t try but you can try replacing it with almond, hazelnut, tapioca or another grain-free flour – if you do, let me know in the comments below!)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed banana
- 1 vegan chocolate bar, chunks
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. flax + 3 tbsp. water) OR 1 egg
- Coconut oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with coconut oil.
- Add the ingredients to a bowl & mix until combined.
- Scoop 2 tbsp. dough onto the sheet, flatten with the back of a spoon & bake for 10-12 minutes. They’ll spread a bit!
- Enjoy! 🙂