One of the things I absolutely love about a plant-based lifestyle is the quantity of food! My meals are always full of delicious, nutritious foods rich in vitamins & minerals & since plant foods are less dense & heavy, I get to eat so many different things & I NEVER get bored!
What I also love about a plant-based diet is there’s no clear definition of what it is because it isn’t really a diet. It’s a lifestyle & it changes based on the extent to which you choose to include high-quality animal products or not. I love the fact that I don’t feel the pressure to label myself as anything specific or to adhere to severe restrictions or limitations. I define plant-based the way I want to & that’s what works for me, mentally, physically & emotionally!
In general, a plant-based diet means:
- emphasis is place on whole & minimally processed foods that resemble as much as possible the condition in which a food was grown or harvested initially.
- limitation of animal products or complete elimination of all animal-derived protein & food sources (if consumed: try to buy pasture-raised, free-range, organic, grass-fed, sustainably & wild-caught if possible!)
- focus is placed on plants, fruits, starchy & non-starchy veggies, whole (or sprouted) grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, beans, plant-based milks, spices, herbs, plant-protein, organic fermented soy products in moderation
- excludes refined foods (refined sugars, white flours & processed hydrogenated oils), fried foods, soda, packaged foods, artificial sweeteners & sugar polyalcohols, processed animal products like lunch meats, processed vegan-friendly foods (fake turkey slices, vegan butter etc.)
- food QUALITY is key!
I’ve NEVER felt better since adopting this way of life & it’s something I plan to continue to do!
Some of the benefits include:
- environmental sustainability
- teduced risk of high blood pressure & diseas
- healthy weight maintenance
- increased digestive health due to high-fibre content in a lot of plant-based foods
- regulated blood sugar levels
- heart health
- stronger immune system
- prevent cognitive decline
- reduced symptoms of mental illness & mood disorders
- less inflammation
- brighter, clearer, healthier & less problem-prone skin!
I would NEVER push a way of life on anyone because all our bodies & minds are different but it makes me so happy to share my input with you guys, even if just to inspire you to eat 1-2x more plant-based meals a week, incorporate more fruits/veggies or switch some animal products for plant protein!