Never made healthy homemade trail mix?!
It’s so easy & so much healthier than store-bought ones which often contain added sugars, hydrogenated oils, table salt & other funky unnecessary ingredients!
This is something I like to meal prep every once in a while because it makes for a great on the go snack before or after a workout!
If you have issues with portion control or a busy AF life, you can prep ziploc bags of it at the beginning of the week & have a healthy snack on hand in your car or purse. It comes in handy if your day goes a little longer or more hectic than planned so that you avoid getting HANGRY!
In case you love this recipe (& trust me, you will), here are 2 other delicious recipes you should definitely try:
To make this one, simply add the following ingredients to a bowl, mix & store in an airtight jar or container:
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup dried organic unsweetened mulberries
- 3 tbsp. raw organic cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup dried organic unsweetened pineapple
- 1/4 cup raw slivered unsalted almonds
- Few pinches Celtic sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla bean powder (or use cacao powder for a chocolatey trail mix!)
BTW, when buying dried fruit, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- make sure to get unsweetened & organic, if & whenever possible (aka if it isn’t a million dollars more)
- the only ingredient on the label should be the fruit itself; no added sugars/syrups, food colouring, artificial sweeteners or hidden sugars like maltodextrin or dextrose, sulfur, preservatives or fillers
- the fruit should be ugly – it shouldn’t be bright & pretty… if it is, it means one thing only: PRESERVATIVES (& maybe even food colouring!); when fruit is dried, it does not preserve its bright colour so keep that in mind when shopping!