Q: “Oh you’re plant-based?”
Q: “But where do you get your protein?”
A: I wont’t lie, when I didn’t know much about what a plant-based lifestyle entailed, I was super skeptical about how on earth it was possible to get enough protein! At the time, I probably would’ve had similar reflexes or questions.
But, when I started living healthier, even before being plant-based was an idea in the back of my mind, let alone a reality, I realized the power of plant foods & that’s slowly how I became more inclined to change the way I eat!
I felt better when I ate plants vs. animal protein & my energy levels, skin, digestion & mood were better.
Slowly but surely, I realized I eliminated most sources of animal protein without even consciously trying & that’s when I made the switch!
So yes, you can be plant-based & meet your body’s protein needs, not to mention these foods also have more vitamins, minerals, antioxidants & fibre than animal sources.
Most of my protein comes from:
- pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, hemp, flax & chia seeds
- leafy greens & cruciferous veggies
- whole/sprouted grains (quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, freekeh, brown & black rice/oats)
- beans & legumes (lupini, black, kidney, chickpeas, lentils, green peas)
- nutritional yeast
- on occasion, fermented non-GMO organic unprocessed tempeh
- chlorella & spirulina (alternating monthly in my supplement routine)
- vegan Perfect Protein powder by Botanica Health
For more info on some of the plant-based proteins listed above, check this post out, where I go into detail about their nutritional value & some of their benefits!
OHHH & here’s this week’s MEAL PREP pread: roasted veggies, quinoa, sweet potato mash, red lentils, hazelnut flour almond butter brownies, oatmeal cookies, raw veggies, stuffed dates, hemp milk, beet juice, trail mix & steel cut oats!