Would you hate me if I told you that an hour core workout is one of the best parts of my week?
The muscles that make up the core are some of the toughest to train, but they’re also some of the most important.
Contrary to popular belief, the core isn’t just made up of the abs – it’s actually the body’s powerhouse & it’s made up of all the muscles of our midsection, from our abs to our backs, obliques, hips & pelvis.
Together, these muscles work as stabilizers for the entire body & help it function more effectively. A strong core is crucial to prevent injury but also to accomplish simple daily tasks with more ease.
Why is a strong core important?
- most movement starts at the centre & moves outward so it’s actually not our extremities doing most of the work. A solid centre helps ensure that movements are strong, pain-free & gives the body more range of motion.
- it means the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips & abdomen to work in harmony, leading to better balance & stability
- it creates a strong foundation for your body & spine & improves posture
- makes you feel strong & confident mentally & physically
- the core isn’t only where your organs & central nervous system work, it’s also where your body’s largest (+ most important) veins & arteries are located
- keeping strong core muscles ensures everything stays protected: I’m sure you know how important the spinal cord is, but if you repeatedly put pressure on it because it isn’t well supported by core muscles, overtime, it’ll cause your body to tense up, lead to pain & affect overall quality of life.
Before you focus on getting a 6-pack, take baby steps! Focus on building core stability. Core strength is step 2 & with strength, comes toning!
There’s no way to target fat loss in JUST the abdomen area – it follows suit when you eat right, sleep well, exercise regularly, weight train & take care of your body from the INSIDE OUT!
Work hard, be patient & don’t expect results overnight & train for reasons OTHER than just the way you look – the benefits of exercise go far beyond that & it’s easy to lose sight of that nowadays!