If you’re looking for a way to up your fibre game but you’re not sure how to start, here’s a perfect breaky idea: PSYLLIUM HUSK VANILLA STEEL CUT OATS!
Psyllium husks are an all-natural plant-derived soluble fibre that bulks up when it comes in contact with liquid in the digestive tract, helping “things” (if ya know what I mean) pass more easily + smoothly through the intestines + promoting healthy elimination + detoxification. This makes them beneficial if you suffer from chronic constipation or diarrhea digestive issues in general.
Other benefits include:
- they don’t contain any added sweeteners, artificial flavours or colours, fillers that over the counter fibre supplements contain & don’t have the addictive effect of laxatives.
- help regulate blood glucose levels, prevent sugar spikes + lows, curb sugar cravings + maintain a healthy weight
- boost heart health by reducing bad cholesterol + regulating blood pressure
- boost immunity – 70-80% of our immune system is located in our gut: a healthy gut means a strong immune system!
- great swap for xanthan gum + other binders/thickeners, which often lead to bloating – add them to soups, chilies, baked or raw desserts, oats, smoothies, meatballs, burgers, grain salads, muffins, cookies, breads etc. You barely notice they’re there & you add so many benefits to meals.
PRO TIP: always make sure to increase liquid content in recipes when using them + stay hydrated especially if your body isn’t used to eating lots of fibre to ensure you hydrate your gut enough to keep things running smoothly!
TO MAKE THESE OATS:
- Simply add 1/2 cup cooked steel cut oats to a small skillet (or cook the oats on the spot if you didn’t meal prep them) + add in 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup homemade milk, splash vanilla + Ceylon cinnamon.
- Heat over medium until thick, fluffy + all liquid is absorbed.
- Add toppings + enjoy! I added hemp hearts, pomegranate + banana!