VEGAN EGGPLANT PARMESAN… ohmygoodness! Yes, you read right… this is my take on traditional Italian eggplant Parmesan!
Next time anyone tries to rain on your healthy eating parade, SHOW. THEM. THIS. This recipe is proof that eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring, complicated or make you feel like you’re missing out on your faves! You just have to get a little adventurous with your ingredients + BE DOWN WITH DELICIOUS FIBRE-RICH “CHESSY” TOWERS OF EGGPLANT, Fody Foods gut-friendly marinara + nutritional yeast for days.
It’s made with eggplant (obvs), chickpea + almond flour, nutritional yeast, psyllium husks because GUT HEALTH, marinara sauce, oregano, a touch of avocado oil + THAT IS ALL my friends!!!
This recipe is so yummy, everyone will LOVE it, not to mention it’s full of fibre, comforting, full of B vitamins, plant-protein + the best part is, it’s easy + simple to make & you’d never know just how healthy it is!
AND BY THE WAY.. I know you’re wondering – how on earth do I achieve the breading in a completely grain-free way?? I mean, usually you’d need breadcrumbs, right? NOT TODAY BABY. Basically, here’s how it goes down – you combine chickpea flour & water to make a chickpea “egg”, which will then coat the eggplant & act as a binder for the “breadcrumb” mix. And that’s where part 2 comes in – the breadcrumb mix! I used psyllium husks, almond flour, nutritional yeast & dried oregano & let me tell you… you’ll freak at how delicious this mixture is. In fact, you might want to eat it with a spoon. But don’t. Because you need it to coat the eggplant in & to bake it to perfection until it’s nice & crispy!
AND THEN WE BUILD THOSE TOWERS! Once it’s baked, you layer it like you would a lasagna. Marinara sauce. Breaded eggplant. Nutritional yeast. Marinara. Eggplant. Nutritional yeast. You get it, right Then, place it in the oven & wait IMPATIENTLY. THE WAIT REALLY IS SO WORTH IT THOUGH! WAIT & SEE.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into rounds & then halved if they are very large
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup psyllium husks
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- More nutritional yeast for topping each layer
- Avocado oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375F & line a round pie dish with aluminum foil. Set aside. Spray lightly with avocado oil.
- In a shallow dish, combine the chickpea flour with water & whisk until thick + smooth. In another dish, combine the psyllium husks, almond flour, nutritional yeast + oregano.
- Dip one slice of eggplant at a time into the chickpea flour mix until it’s fully submerged. From there, dip it into the breadcrumb mixture & make sure each side is fully covered.
- Place the breaded eggplant on the baking sheet & repeat until all eggplant is breaded.
- Bake the eggplant slices for 30 minutes, until brown, flipping once at halfway mark. Remove from the oven & let cool slightly.
- To assemble:
- Spread 3/4 cup of marinara sauce evenly on the bottom of the baking pan. Place enough breaded eggplant over the top to cover the sauce, layering slightly one over another. Top the eggplant with nutritional yeast & repeat the process: marinara, eggplant, nutritional yeast, until ingredients are done. You should have 3 layers, but it depends on the size of your baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil & bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil & bake for another 10 minutes until the sauce underneath starts to sizzle.
- Remove from the oven & let sit for about 5-10 minutes before slicing!
- ENJOY! 🙂