I’m a firm believer in the saying that knowledge is power.
The things I share with you guys are the by-product of two very important things for ANYONE on a health journey: experience + education.
In my opinion, experience is the best way to grow + learn; it definitely comes with age but, also with obstacles, challenges, setbacks, opportunities + trauma, irrespective of age. For many years of my life, I was the girl who used to let every negative experience take away a little more of my self-worth until I reached rock bottom & I realized there was no more self-worth to take away.
When I finally shifted my perspective & learned to embrace every experience & take something positive from it & to let myself heal + grow from it, I saw just how valuable they are.
I believe in destiny & I also think that life won’t throw anything at you if you aren’t strong enough to handle + overcome it.
So here I am today, worlds apart from where I was, learning from my experiences with anorexia, anxiety, divorce, self-neglect, damaged relationships with food/body image & passionately sharing what I learned hoping I can inspire you to never reach the rock bottom I did & I truly believe this is my calling!
BUT, it’s not just experience that taught me this. The reason I was able to shift my perspective is that I took my experience & health into my own hands & ACTIVELY educated myself.
An experience is one thing, but understanding why it happens & how to heal + grow from it is a whole other ball game.
Nobody is born a genius in all walks of life & that’s why it’s crucial to be your own health advocate & educate yourself to learn more about why you feel, act, behave &/or eat a certain way. Nobody is going to tailor the research to your specific needs or ingrain the knowledge in your mind. It’s all up to you.
When you KNOW, you have the POWER + MOTIVATION to CHANGE. When you’re uninformed & you just take everything you see & hear for face value, you may feel lost or confused.
These are the health/wellness + self-help reads that were eye-opening for me in so many ways & taught me a valuable lesson that goes far beyond flipping through pages in a book: I have to want to help myself if I want to heal & IMO, true healing is achieved through a combination of experience & education.
Here’s a list of the books pictured above:
- Body Love by Kelly LeVeque
- Goop Clean Beauty
- How Not To Die by Michael Greger
- The Plant Paradox by Steven R. Gundry
- Beyond Soap by Sandy Skotnicki
- Anxiety For Beginners by Eleanor Morgan
- Clean by Alejandro Junger
- 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do
- Woman Code by Alisa Vitti
- Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe
- You Do You by Sarah Knight
- Brave Enough by Cheryl Strayed
- Clean Skin From Within by Trevor Cates
- Medical Medium Life-Changing Foods by Anthony William
- The Better Brain Solution by Deckle Edge
- How To Murder Your Life by Cat Marnell
- Fat For Fuel by Dr. Joseph Mercola
- The Gut Balance Revolution by Gerard E. Mullin
- Food Politics by Marion Nestle
- Mind Platter by Najwa Zebian
- If Our Bodies Could Talk by James Hamblin
- Gut by Giulia Enderes
- Clean Green Juices by Candice Kumai
- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown
- Truth by Danielle Laporte
- Fulfilled by Anna Yusim
- What To Eat by Marion Nestle
- Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole
- The Ripple Effect by Greg Wells
- Inflammation-Free Diet Plan by Monica Reinagel
- Authenticity by David Posen
- The Judgment Detox by Gabrielle Bernstein
- The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein
- Rising Strong by Brené Brown
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*uck by Mark Manson
- How Can I Help by David Goldbloom
- F*ck It by John Parkin