Black rice?! YAS.
Black japonica rice has a roasted nutty, slightly sweet flavour + packs a ton of health benefits!
- rich in antioxidants in the form of anthocyanins (similar to the ones found in blueberries + blackberries)
- rich in vitamin E, necessary for cell rejuvenation + renewal, eye, skin + immune health
- rich in fibre + anti-inflammatory properties, making it great for satiety, digestive health, protecting the heart + regulating blood sugar + cholesterol levels
- richer in iron + copper + protein than other rice varieties
- detoxifies the body + cleanses the liver of toxic buildup
- slows down absorption of sugar in the blood, thereby promoting sustained energy levels
This salad is crispy, crunchy, nutty, creamy & full of flavour! I just adore using kale with creamy ingredients like avocado & Dijon because it absorbs so well & the salad ends up tasting almost like a Caesar salad, only it’s way healthier!
- Huge handful kale
- 1/4 cup cooked japonica black rice
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber
- 1/4 large avocado
- 1/2 head radicchio (endive or cabbage works too)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. yacon syrup
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar (always “from the mother”)
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Juice from one lemon
- Vegan Parmesan, mozzarella or nutritional yeast for garnish
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside to cool off.
- Prep the rest of the ingredients + add them to a bowl. Add the rice & dressing ingredients & toss to coat.
- Top with vegan Parmesan or nutritional yeast & enjoy!