As you guys know, I’ve gone plant-based & I don’t eat chicken, but if I did, you can be sure it’d look a little something like these babies! I made these for the fam & I gotta say, the smell in my kitchen was legendary!!!
They’re simple + easy to make with very minimal ingredients & they’re great as a meal prep staple because you can eat ‘em as is or cut into chunks + throw them into just about anything to add protein!
Almond flour + flax make for a great swap for breadcrumbs & provide a lot more nutrition, anti-inflammatory healthy fats + vitamins & minerals!
The trick to getting the outsides crispy is to broil them once they’re ready to make sure the insides stay moist & perfectly cooked, but the outsiders get nice & browned!
- 1 package extra-lean ground chicken (turkey or beef work too) ~0.7kg
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (you can replace it with Parmesan or nutritional yeast)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt (I use A Vogel. Herbamare sea salt with dried herbs – it’s 100% natural, unrefined, organic, gluten-free, contains no MSG, artificial ingredients, preservatives, anti-caking agents or dairy & it’s full of flavour: celery, leek, cress, onion, chive, parsley, lovage, basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme + kelp!)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F & line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, sprayed lightly with coco or avocado oil spray.
- Add the ingredients to a bowl & mix until combined.
- Roll the mixture into meatballs of your desired size & place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Once baked, set your oven to high broil & broil for 5 minutes to get them crispy.