Let’s talk HEALTHY FATS + DIGESTION!
First, let’s get back to basics. The three macronutrients in our diets are carbs, protein + fat & our body is built with unique processes to digest each one. Each process & macro takes a different amount of time to pass through the digestive tract.
- Carbs are digested first (& complex carbs take longer than simple + are a healthier choice)
A high-fat meal that doesn’t contain a healthy balance of other macros (+ fibre, always) can take a lot of work & time for the body to digest, especially if you suffer from digestive health issues.
A weakened gut lining makes it hard to digest fat + some people even lack the enzyme necessary for fat absorption/digestion.
BUT, this doesn’t mean you should stay away from healthy fats at all costs because they provide SO MANY health benefits. IT’S ALL ABOUT THE WAY YOU INCORPORATE THEM.
My take is to incorporate a small amount at every meal VS. eating 1 really high-fat meal & limiting fat in the others:
Some of the benefits of healthy fats include:
- they keep you full + satisfied, help curb sugar cravings + prevent binging
- fight inflammation
- transport nutrients to vital organs, thereby boosting energy
- provide lots of other vitamins + minerals
- gut-healing + great for the skin
- anti-aging + rich in antioxidants
Here’s how I do it:
- I include healthy fats in every meal + I prefer to spread fat consumption throughout the day to facilitate digestion + avoid placing too much strain on my liver + pancreas.
- This is one of the reasons I don’t believe in Bulletproof coffee.
- I like to pair healthy fats with a good source of fibre (hence the almonds with fruit + applesauce in the photo linked to this post) + water to keep things flowing + for gut health.
- I do my best to make sure I eat more unsaturated (i.e. omega 3) than saturated fats (omega 6); we need both but too much omega-6 + not enough omega-3 can lead to inflammation. I stay away from trans fats at all costs.
My fave sources of healthy fats are coconut + avocado oil, nuts, seeds + avocado.
Other great sources: salmon, trout, oysters, free-run pasture-raised eggs, good-quality meats, mackerel + grass-fed dairy.