It’s no secret that finding good quality granola these days isn’t easy, which is why whenever I can, I make my own! If you want to see some of my homemade easy & simple granola recipes or bars, simply search: “granola” in the search bar on the homepage & find one that tickles your tastebuds!
Sometimes, I just need a simpler solution & thankfully, some brands make very clean ones!
With the rise of the packaged food industry & companies’ motivation to increase shelf life + profit margin + make food taste delicious, most of the granola on our grocery shelves is filled with TONS added + refined sugars, artificial colour/flavours, table salt, evaporated cane juice, hydrogenated oils, soy protein isolate to increase protein content + make the product more desirable + ingredients + preservatives counterintuitive to the benefits we want to get from adding granola to meals/snacks.
I’ve done my fair share of research + tried different brands & these stand out to me because they’re:
- made with ingredients I stand by
- have a reasonable sugar content (I stick to a maximum of 6g/serving, even if it’s natural sugar)
- made with rolled oats (not quick oats) so they’re minimally processed
- they contain other superfood ingredients, such as nuts/seeds/dried fruit/green powders/algae/even probiotics + enzymes
- satisfying + delicious; I don’t feel deprived or like I’m compromising enjoyment or taste to eat healthy (they’re so yum that I don’t even need a full serving size to feel satisfied!)
- they don’t contain sugar polyalcohols (erythritol/sorbitol) artificial sweeteners (stevia leaf extract/Splenda) or chemicals (maltodextrin)
- they don’t contain corn (BUH BYE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF GMOs!)
- I get my carbs + grains in without a spike in blood sugar; the grains are whole/sprouted & the sugar is natural + real WHOLE food
- baked with good quality oils that are NOT hydrogenated + laden with trans fats (BTW: if the first 2 ingredients are any form of sugar or oil, I generally put it back on the shelf. Ingredients are always listed in descending order of quantity so be careful!)
HAPPY GRANOLA SHOPPING!