Here’s a quick + easy salad that contains a good balance of fats, carbs, protein + fibre! It’s crispy, crunchy, nutty, naturally sweet & a little bit cheesy.
I’ll tell you how to make it but I’ll also give you suggestions for swaps for similar ingredients.
Here are my top salad tips:
- I like a salad I can season in the same bowl! Less dishes, less complicated + a lighter dressing is my motto!
- I buy my nuts raw + unsalted to cut sodium (& prefer to add good quality sea salts)
- In the summer, I add fruit to salads for natural sweetness, they’re all in season & there’s so much to choose from
- I cook grains as part of meal prep so there’s less prep when it’s time to make meals
- I buy beans organic + unsalted/low sodium to also cut sodium & rinse them thoroughly to remove some of the starch/enzyme inhibitors
- Coconut aminos replaced all soy sauces in my kitch 2 years ago: more enzymes, gut health, 70% less sodium, delicious, slightly sweet & heart healthy
- Nutritional yeast adds cheesy flavour, plant-protein + B12 = great cheese replacement!
- 1 handful spinach (kale, romaine, Boston lettuce)
- 2 radishes (cucumber or celery)
- 1 tbsp. raw unsalted pistachios (walnuts, pecans, cashews or almonds)
- Cherry tomatoes (or bell peppers)
- 1 mandarin (mango or berries)
- 1/4 cup quinoa (or buckwheat, brown rice, amaranth or freekeh)
- 2 tbsp. no-salt added chickpeas (kidney, white, navy or black beans)
- 2 tsp. Vegan parmesan (nutritional yeast, real Parmesan or mozzarella)
DRESSING: Lemon, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar (or olive oil, balsamic vinegar or coconut vinegar), garlic powder, sea salt + black pepper.
- Cook your grains or use meal-prepped ones.
- Add the salad ingredients to a bowl & season in the same bowl. Toss to coat.
- Top with nutritional yeast or Parmesan & enjoy!