This mac + cheese sauce is comforting, satisfying, thick, so easy to make & so creamy & delicious… you’ll never want KD again!
I roasted the sweet potatoes & then blended them up with some staple ingredients for a sauce that’s full of antioxidants, vitamin C, good carbs + plant protein & that REALLY hits the spot!
I stirred it into one of my favourite pastas by Tolerant Foods. Made with just red lentil flour, it’s so much more nutritious than plain old gluten-free pasta & is a lot higher in protein + fibre! I find it really mimics the texture + flavour profile of wheat pasta. I topped it off with a bit of vegan Parmesan + black pepper & BOOM!!
This sauce is a great meal prep staple & so convenient to have on hand if you get home after a long day & cant be bothered to cook an intricate dinner! Boil your pasta, add the sauce, warm it on the stovetop & top with your fave spices, herbs or vegan or regular Parmesan & you’re good to go!
When I tell you this baby is a keeper, I mean it. I mean, most of my recipes are pretty damn delish, lez be honest here… but seriously, this sauce is mind-blowing. What’s great about it is that you can basically mix it into any pasta, grain or legume because it’s so rich & creamy, it’ll add a similar texture to that of guacamole or mashed avocado! It’s a great way to amp up recipes or foods that would otherwise be kinda boring or bland. AND OF COURSE, IT’S GREAT AS MAC & CHEESE. I mean, lez be honest yet again, WHO DOESN’T MELT AT THE IDEA OF MAC & CHEESE? NO PUN INTENDED.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 cups peeled + cubed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 1/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast (or Parmesan)
- 1 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, freshly juiced
- Sea salt + black pepper to tasted
FOR THE PASTA:
- Any plant-based / gluten-free or regular pasta of your choice, boiled according to package directions
- Nutritional yeast or Parmesan for topping
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Preheat oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dice up the sweet potatoes & place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for about 30 minutes at 400F or until tender. Once roasted, remove from the heat & set aside.
- Alternatively, you could also bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add the whole potatoes & boil for 10-15 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to your food processor & blend until smooth & creamy (about 1-2 minutes).
- Store the sauce in an airtight glass container or jar & refrigerate. I personally prefer to heat it up as I use it, depending what I’m making.
FOR THE PASTA:
- Boil the pasta according to package directions. Once boiled, set aside.
- Once the sauce is ready, add the pasta & sauce to a small skillet & toss to coat. Reduce the heat to medium-low & cook for about 2 minutes or until pasta is perfectly coated in the sauce. If you find the sauce too thick, you can thin it out by adding a bit more milk to thin to desired texture.
- Remove from the heat, taste & generously season with more nutritional yeast (& some extra sea salt & black pepper if you wish).