Vitamin B12 deficiency is one of the most common diagnosed deficiencies, especially if you are vegan/vegetarian or following a plant-based diet & even in some people who don’t eat much red meat &/or other sources of animal protein.
I’ve had a diagnosed B12 deficiency for years because I stopped eating red meat about 10 years ago & to be honest, I was never a meat lover. I started using the Pure Encapsulations liquid B12 a few months ago & I absolutely LOVE it! It’s free of common allergens (soy/egg/dairy), vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO & has no artificial ingredients, magnesium stearate or contaminants.
I also take a B-complex supplement, but as I switched to a plant-based diet, I made the decision to add this B12 supplement in addition to my B complex in order to ensure that my energy levels remain sustained, that the switch over goes smoothly & that I don’t worsen the deficiency due to the changes in my diet. It has helped SO MUCH!
B12 is made by bacteria, not by animals or plants, like many other vitamins. The bacteria live in our intestines, but we don’t actually absorb the B12 made by our own gut, so it’s important to supplement!
Vitamin B12 is crucial for so many vital bodily functions & plant-based B12 sources are limited (you can find it in some cereals/algae/non-dairy milks/nutritional yeast, but that’s really it; unless of course, you’re going for fortified foods, but you have to be careful with those because they often contain a lot of additives & preservatives).
So now that we know where you can find B12 & why it’s important to supplement, what are some of the benefits?
- Methylcobalamin, the active form of B12, supports neurological function, nerve cell health, memory & emotional well-being & mood.
- B12 fights adrenal fatigue, boosts metabolic functions, ensures the body produces the proper & sufficient enzymes to absorb + digest macronutrients (fats, proteins & carbs) + helps convert carbs into glucose, thereby giving the body fuel & boosting energy levels, helps with DNA synthesis + hormonal balance, which is intrinsically tied to the body’s ability to burn fat + to the overall health of our hair, skin & nails.
- B12 also lowers bad cholesterol, regulates blood pressure + boosts immunity + digestion.
- It supports red blood cell function & if a deficiency isn’t treated, it can lead to anemia, nerve damage + raise cardiovascular risk.
Some of the symptoms of a B12 deficiency include:
- chronic fatigue
- muscle pain
- low energy
- shortness of breath
- numbness + tingling in hands/feet
- memory loss
- inability to focus
- brain fog
- mood swings.
I’m NOT a doctor; I am just sharing what works for me! It’s always best to do a blood test to see whether symptoms you might be feeling are due to B12 deficiency or another issue + then you can decide the best way to target it!
I take it with breaky + the rest of my supplements + you can get it at Tau or on my Amazon page (scroll down to the bottom of this page for the direct link to shop!).