One of my biggest struggles with the transition over to a plant-based diet is getting enough fats! Nuts + seeds have become a HUGE part of my diet but I can only eat so much!
All hail avocado!
Avocados were always a big part of my diet, even before the plant-based switch but now, even more so! I usually eat anywhere between 1/4 to 1/2, depending on what I’m making + on the quantity of other ingredients rich in healthy fats in the recipe.
Not only are avocados rich in healthy fats (BTW, 75% of their fat content is unsaturated a.k.a. the ones you want more of & the ones the typical North American diet does NOT contain enough of!), but they also contain:
- nearly 20 vitamins + minerals
- fibre for digestive health + satiety (& they’re very low in net carbs due to their high fibre content)
- zinc, necessary for hormone regulation, skin health + immunity
- iron: for energy + healthy oxygen flow
- vitamin C for serotonin production
- vitamin K for bone health + B6 for brain function + B6 for metabolism boosting + hormones
- potassium for healthy blood pressure, heart health + electrolyte balance
- antioxidants for HEALTH!
- beneficial properties for kidney + heart health, balancing blood sugar + cholesterol levels
Now that you know why I LOVE avocados, let’s talk about how rich, creamy, delicious, naturally sweet & hydrating this smoothie is. Full of fruits + veggies, it’s healing, a great way to wake up the body + kickstart digestion + super energizing!
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3-1/2 avocado (depending how big it is)
- Splash pure organic vanilla extract
- 1/3 banana
- 1 tbsp. bee pollen
- 1 cucumber
- 3-4 chunks frozen or fresh kiwi
- Topping: Fresh raspberries
- Add the ingredients to your blender & blend until combined + creamy.
- Top with desired toppings & enjoy!