Here’s a yummy salad idea you can prep for the week for on the go friendly lunches! It’s got a healthy balance of carbs, protein, fats + fibre, making it perfect as a stand alone meal, but also great as a side dish.
Switching grains from white to whole grain &/or sprouted is an easy & very wise choice if you’re starting a health journey. Brown rice contains all parts of the grain, including the fibrous bran, germ + endosperm, whereas white rice has the bean + germ removed… the 2 most nutritious parts! Brown rice is therefore a lot higher in fibre, vitamins, minerals & antioxidants than white rice & other white refined grains, which are basically empty calories + carbs with few nutrients.
It’s also higher in magnesium & lower glycemic than white rice (GI for brown rice is 50 & GI for sure rice is 89), which helps control blood sugar levels & reduces risk of diabetes.
It also contains lignans, plant compounds that protect the heart, reduce the amount of fat in the blood, lower blood pressure + inflammation.
BONUS if your grains are sprouted as the sprouting process boosts mineral + vitamin content & removes enzyme inhibitors, making digestion easier & nutrient absorption enhanced.
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 cup cooked organic brown rice (quinoa or buckwheat work too)
- 1/4 cup organic dried unsweetened mulberries (cranberries or goji work too!)
- 1.5 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup crumbled raw almonds
- 1 green onion
- 1/2 shallot
- 1 endive
- 2 tbsp. hemp
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. Dijon
- 1/2 tbsp. dried parsley
- sea salt, black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Cook your brown rice (or quinoa/buckwheat) according to package directions. Once cooked, set aside to cool off so it doesn’t get the other ingredients soggy.
- Add the other salad ingredients to a mixing bowl. Once the rice is cooled, add it to the bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl & whisk until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss & ENJOY!