For any of you babes & bros who aren’t plant-based like moi, you can thank my dad for this deliciousness!
Here’s a super simple + nutritious CHOPPED EGG OPEN-FACED SANDWICH recipe that I’m sure will become a fan fave! I always say that whenever my dad enjoys one of my healthy recipes, it’s the perfect seal of approval for me to know it’s foolproof!
PRO TIP: Instead of mayo, use ingredients like hummus, tahini, avocado or Dijon or yellow mustard to make your egg, tuna + chickpea salads creamy AF!
This egg salad is delicious & super duper creamy! You can totally add any & all toppings your heart desires to make this meal even heartier: mix in some avocado, black beans, chickpeas or top with nutritional yeast, hemp or chia seeds or some crunchy veggies & sprouts.
PRO TIP: A healthy swap you can make in your kitchen that’s quite simple & easy (but a tad more expensive) is switch over to free-run organic eggs.
Free-range farming is a type where the animals can roam freely outdoors, rather than being confined for 24h/day. This means they’re able to feed off plants & insects in addition to the grains they’re usually fed, as opposed to being fed with just grains. Since they nourish themselves more adequately, when we eat free-range eggs, we get to reap the “3rd-party” benefits in the form of more nutritious eggs!
Some of the things that differentiate free-range eggs from conventional eggs are:
- 1/4 less saturated fat
- 1/3 less dietary cholesterol .
- 2/3 more vitamin A: necessary for healthy development of teeth, bones, tissue, good vision, skin health & acts as an antioxidant & protects cells rom damage
- 7x more beta-carotene (a.k.a. antioxidants)
- 98% smaller risk of salmonella contamination
- 300% more vitamin E: also an antioxidant, promote healthy cells, blood + circulatory function.
- 200% more omega-3 fatty acids, which are necessary for fighting inflammation, boosting heart health, lowering cholesterol + blood pressure, reducing the risk of digestive disorders, promoting skin health + maintaining an adequate ratio of omega 3:6 in the body.
I know, swaps like these & every single other one you hear about aren’t easy to make, but trust me when I say that they’re worth it in the long run. There’s no better feeling than feeling healthy & your best & overtime, the accumulation of all these little swaps will get you there!
- 2 soft-boiled eggs, mashed (we use organic + free range)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. raw Dijon mustard
- 2 slices sprouted Ezekiel toast
- Boil your eggs: bring a small skillet filled with water to a boil. Once boiled, reduce heat to medium-low & gently drop your eggs in with a slotted spoon.
- Boil the eggs for 8-9 minutes.
- Once boiled, drain the water & run the eggs under cold water for about a minute to stop the cooking process.
- Let the eggs cool. Peel & mash them, add the other ingredients & mix.
- Toast your bread, spread the egg salad onto it & drizzle with black pepper.