Who’s with me?
NOTHING SCREAMS SUMMAH LIKE ICE CREAM!
I’m sure you’ve all heard of Halo Top, Cool Whey & all those other high protein, low calorie & apparently “low sugar”ice creams! I don’t mean to burst your bubble… they’re not THAT bad if you eat them in moderation (a.k.a. not the entire tub).
BUT, they do contain tons of sugar alcohols, such as erythritol, which is a huge loophole in the food industry & allows companies to market their products as low sugar, when really they compensate for the lack of added sugar with sugar alcohols, artificially created chemicals that are indigestible by the human body. Not only can they cause a lot of digestive distress but they also prevent your brain & body from recognizing that it’s been fed, which can ultimately lead to more sugar cravings, overeating & even binging!
My philosophy is that it’s better to eat REAL FOOD, even if it contains real natural sugar, but in smaller quantities because it actually has benefits & more importantly, it actually nourishes you!
Here’s a delicious recipe for homemade chocolate ice cream, no ice cream maker necessary! It’s easy, simple & made with just a few ingredients & it’s so delicious that your kids will ask you for seconds & thirds! You can eat it like I did in a bowl with goji berries & cinnamon but you can also go the traditional way & lick it out of the cone!
It’s vegan, gluten, egg white, soy, corn, refined sugar, nut + grain free!
AND THE BEST PART? IT’S SO EASY, YOU CAN MAKE IT WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. Okay… maybe not, but you catch my drift. YES, it’s THAT easy!
- 3 cups light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. raw organic unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. coconut flower syrup (raw unpasteurized + preferably local honey works too!)
- 1 scoop Botanica Health perfect protein (vanilla) or your fave protein/collagen powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Add the ingredients to your blender & blend until combined.
- Pour the liquid into a glass container or any other freezer safe jar or baking pan.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the freezer & let thaw for 5-10 minutes before scooping out with an ice cream scoop.
- Top with your fave toppings or add to a cone & enjoy!