Here’s the updated version of my healthier Nutella recipe! My original version was healthier than the real deal but still contained a whole 1/2 cup of sugar! Yes, I’d use coconut or date sugar, but still – even natural sugars should be used moderately, just like everything else! Here’s the link to the original recipe if you guys want to check it out: Clean-Eating Homemade Nutella Spread a.k.a. Rainbows-Sunshine-&-Unicorns-Basically-a-Chocolate-Lover’s-Dream-Come-True
Instead of the sugar, I used a tablespoon of raw manuka honey, some coconut oil + I seeded a pure vanilla bean to add natural sweetness + vanilla flavour!
This spread is so delicious, EVERYONE & I mean, EVERYONE (kids included) will adore it! You can use it on anything from oats to Greek yogurt, as a topping for fruit, spread it on crackers, toast or rice cakes or… by the tablespoon! But beware… it’s highly addictive!! YOU’VE BEEN WARNED!
Hazelnuts are actually super healthy & it’s a shame that Nutella actually takes away from it in some way because of all the added sugars & preservatives. So that’s where this spread comes in – it tastes just as delicious, but you actually preserve all the health benefits of the hazelnuts & it won’t make your blood sugar levels spike like cray-cray!
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds only OR 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw manuka honey (or coconut flower syrup, yacon or maple syrup) + 1-2 more tbsp. for a sweeter Nutella
- 2 tbsp. water to thin out, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the raw hazelnuts on a baking sheet & toast for 15 minutes.
- Once the hazelnuts are roasted, remove from the oven & let cool.
- Once cooled, remove the skins & add them to the bowl of your food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pulse on high until the Nutella is uniform & all the ingredients are incorporated. You will have to scrape the sides every now & then! I like to keep it a little chunky but you can add water or almond milk if you want to thin it out.
- Store in an airtight container & refrigerate for optimal freshness.
- Remove it from the fridge about 10 minutes before using to allow it to slightly soften.