If you know, you know… this is my healthier take on every Moroccan mama’s specialty: “les fèves“! They’re generally served as a side dish with salmon cooked in a tomato + red pepper sauce. This dish is FULL of flavour, so easy + simple to prepare & requires just a few ingredients!
Fava beans have an earthy nutty flavour & actually have so many health benefits! They contain a high amount of folate, iron, manganese + magnesium, reduce the risk of heart disease, boost immunity + energy & strengthen bones. And they’re also an amazing source of plant-based protein, fibre + good carbs.
Take it from me… You’ll love this side dish so much that you’ll be dipping your bread in it “Moroccan-style”!!
- 1.6lb. (750g) fava beans, blanched & outer shell removed
- 1.5 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp. dried parsley
- 1.5 tsp. cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. minced onion
- Juice from one lemon
- Splash of raw organic apple cider vinegar
- Blanch the fava beans: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the beans & cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain the beans & rinse them with cold running water. Let them sit for about 3-5 minutes. Once they’re cooled off, simply use your thumb to pop off the outer shell – the beans should come out rather easily! Repeat until you’re done with all the beans… yes, it takes a bit of time but it’s well worth it!
- Once your beans are shelled, add them to a large skillet with the rest of the ingredients (spices, garlic, lemon & apple cider) & toss to coat.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat & lightly sauté the beans with the rest of the ingredients for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat & ENJOY!
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container!