Okay, so I’m literally in awe at how perfectly these came out!
I first saw the recipe for these on One Green Planet (link here) & seriously wondered how I could make “fish sticks” out of hearts of palm. Yes. You read right. You can make “fish” from plant food! Since fish has such a unique texture + flavour, it’s hard to find plant-based mocks, but this recipe nails it!!! Once they’re shredded, the hearts of palm ressemble crab stick in terms of texture.
It’s vegan, gluten, egg, refined sugar & nut-free & so easy to make!!! But you’d never know it! Whether you’re vegan or not, trust me when I say you NEED to make these! You’ll fool even your fish stick obsessed kiddies!
I had ’em for dinner tonight with a side of Dijon mustard, my homemade hummus & some greens & oh my goodness, I have no words for how delicious they are, but most importantly, for just how much they remind me of my childhood eating fish sticks dipped in NOT-SUGAR-FREE ketchup after school!
Hearts of palm are actually a really underestimated veggie (in my opinion, anyway!). They pack so many health benefits, such as:
- good source of potassium, copper, B6, zinc, vitamin C, iron & magnesium
- contain a good amount of fibre, which is great for keeping you full & boosting gut health + also a good source of plant-protein (one cup contains 4g fibre + 4g protein)
- provide a dose of antioxidants to boost immunity & energy
- boost circulation & maintain a healthy flow of oxygen in the body
- great for skin, cognitive & reproductive health
- 2 14-oz. cans hearts of palm
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. organic brown rice flour
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup non-GMO organic corn starch
- 3/4 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Drain the cans of hearts of palm well & transfer them to a mixing bowl. Using 2 forks, tear & tip apart the hearts into thin stringy pieces. You want to make sure there are no long or chunky pieces leftover.
- Add the sea salt, garlic powder & 2 tbsp. organic brown rice flour to the hearts of palm & stir in.
- In one bowl, add the rest of the brown rice flour. In another, add the non-dairy milk & whisk in the corn starch & in another, add the shredded coconut.
- One by one, take a portion of the heart of palm mixture & roll it into a sausage shape & flatten it slightly so it looks like a fish finger.
- Coat the shaped fish stick into the brown rice flour, then dip it into the milk mixture then into the coconut to crust it.
- Place the fish sticks onto the baking tray & repeat until all the mixture has been used up.
- Place in the oven for 25-28 minutes & bake until the outsides are golden brown.
Here’s a yummy way to enjoy them!