Something I love to do when I have extra ripe fruit on hand is make homemade jam! It’s so easy & simple to make, contains very minimal ingredients & is so much healthier than store-bought ones! Plus, it really ensures you make the most of leftover produce & that nothing goes to waste!
Most store-bought jams contain tons of added sugars, artificial flavours, sweeteners + colours, binders, fillers, preservatives, pectin + gums! This one contains just 5 ingredients: plums, yacon syrup, cinnamon, ginger + lemon!
Use it as a spread for your fave sprouted bread, rice cakes, crisp breads, pita or as a topping for yogurt, oats or buckwheat bowls!
You can change the recipe up to suit whatever fruit you have on hand! In my experience, the fruit that work best are any & all berries, plums, peaches + kiwis!
- 8-9 ripe plums, diced
- Juice from one large lemon
- A splash or 2 of yacon syrup (coconut or date sugar, maple syrup, honey, coconut flower syrup work too!)
- 1 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2-1 tsp. ground ginger
- Add the ingredients to a large skillet & heat it over medium-high heat, until it begins to sizzle. Make sure to stir it every now & then to prevent sticking or burning.
- Once it’s sizzling, lower the heat to medium & cook until fruit has softened, sticky + caramelized & all liquid is absorbed (about 8-10 min.). Remove from the heat & let cool. It’ll get a little more jam-like in texture once it cools.
- Once it’s completely cooled, refrigerate in an airtight container.