I’m not a huge fan of tempeh + tofu because of the soy content, but every once in a while, if I want something meaty, I’ll choose tempeh over tofu. And I almost always go for the Aux Vivres Thai tempeh! It’s delicious + the ingredients are just how I like ‘em!
Tempeh is a great way to get a good dose of protein + healthy fats when making the switch over to a more plant-based lifestyle.
Some of the benefits are:
- it’s fermented so it’s great for gut health + contains probiotics, which help create a protective lining in the GI tract & shield it against pathogens & increase the beneficial bacteria in the gut
- boosts the body’s ability to break down sugar + carbs, making them more digestible
- lowers cholesterol
- high in niacin, which also increases levels of good cholesterol, reduces risk of heart disease, boosts mental health + boosts energy & skin health
- contains high amounts of calcium, necessary for strong bones & maintaining bone mineral density
- great for muscle building because it’s high in protein but also because the fermentation process converts some of the protein into amino acids, reducing work required by the digestive system + also helps rev metabolism, keep blood sugar in check + boosts energy
- high in manganese, which helps with production of digestive enzymes + improves glucose tolerance
- anti-inflammatory, rich in antioxidants + reduces the risk of cancer
For the guacamole in this sandwich, I used a recent recipe of mine that’s absolutely delicious, but you can feel free to make your guac just the way you like it or simply mash an avocado & season it with some simple spices! Here’s the recipe: 5-Minute Guac & Nachos a.k.a. The Best Poolside Summah Snack!
- 2 slices of your fave sprouted bread (I used Ezekiel sesame)
- Homemade guac (recipe linked above) OR 1/4 mashed avocado with lemon, sea salt + garlic powder
- Red pepper chilli flakes
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Thin slices of your favourite tempeh or tofu (or replace it with grilled chicken breast)
- Balsamic glaze (I like the one by Nonna Pia because it contains just 2 ingredients + no preservatives or gums)
- Prepare the guac / mashed avocado
- Toast your bread
- Top with the guac, tempeh & the rest of the ingredients
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze
- Slice & enjoy!