Ever since I switched over to a more plant-based diet, I realize I eat A LOT of avocado! I know it sounds crazy, but that’s actually an accomplishment for me. I was one of many who deprived my body of fats for years because I thought, “if the food is full of fats, even if they’re healthy, it’ll logically just make me fat”.
It actually took me YEARS to understand why I needed them, why they wouldn’t make me fat if I chose the right ones & if eaten with balance & moderation & to finally incorporate healthy fats from nuts, seeds, oils & avocados into my diet & today, they’re probably one of my main sources of fuel & energy.
The power of food & education is actually crazy! When you know & understand the benefits of certain foods & the way they’re processed, absorbed & used by your body, it gives you so much more incentive to incorporate them. It really is true: Knowledge is power.
Healthy fats are a crucial part of our diets for so many reasons:
- their powerful anti-inflammatory properties
- their ability to keep us full & satisfied longer & curb sugar cravings
- their heart health benefits
- boosting energy levels & supporting cell growth
- benefits for hormonal & cognitive health (research has shown that deficiencies in omega fatty acids can lead to symptoms of depression, anxiety & mood disorders)
- promote fat burn + build muscle faster
- help the body to absorb certain vitamins + antioxidants more efficiently (fat-soluble vitamins like D, A, E & K need fat in order to be used by the body)
- contain linoleic & oleic acids, which are great for healthy skin
TO MAKE THIS TOAST: Top your fave sprouted bread with chunky salsa, 1/4-1/2 an avocado sliced lengthwise, alfalfa sprouts, raw pine nuts, nutritional yeast & dried parsley! SO EASY!
- 2 slices of sprouted bread
- 1/4 – 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chunky roasted garlic salsa
- Alfalfa sprouts or other micro-greens
- 1 tbsp. raw pine nuts
- Nutritional yeast
- Dried parsley
- Toast your bread.
- Top the toast with the salsa, avocado & the rest of the toppings & garnishes.
- ENJOY! 🙂