Yep, it’s summer but sometimes, there’s still nothing better than a warm comforting bowl of plant-based deliciousness, #AmIRight?
This stir-fry is ON FIRE & what makes it even better (if that’s even possible) is how simple it is to make!
Lentils are one of my fave legumes & they have so many health benefits ranging from fibre content, which is great for digestion, heart health, curbing cravings & regulating blood sugar levels, plant protein, boost energy levels & metabolism, high calcium, magnesium & iron content & improved electrolyte activity & brain function.
I used canned organic lentils for this recipe because I needed to make it quickly & simply. Ideally, you’d use uncooked lentils & cook them yourself according to the package directions. But, canned ones will do so long as they contain no added salts or other ingredients.
This stir-fry would also work great with any other legumes or bean, or a mix of your favourites. I’d totally try it with chickpeas, black beans or red kidney beans to make more of a chilli style dish.
- 1 can organic lentils (or 1.5 cups cooked lentils)
- 1 red onion
- Avocado oil spray
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. coconut aminos
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- TOPPINGS: Nutritional yeast & green onion or fresh herbs
- Add the onion to a large skillet. Spray with avocado oil & heat over medium high heat. Sauté the onion until browned, fragrant & cooked through.
- Add the mushrooms & sauté for another 3-5 minutes, until browned, shrunk & cooked.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the tomatoes, spinach, spices & seasonings (except the lemon). Toss to coat.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat & sauté for a few more minutes, until all liquid has been absorbed & all ingredients are combined.
- Remove from the heat, juice the lemon & mix.
- Top with nutritional yeast & green onions & enjoy!