Chocolate chip cookie craving satisfied!
These babes nail it in both the texture & taste department! They’re so easy to make & you’d never believe me if I told you they contained absolutely no butter… YES, that’s how moist & chewy they are! But don’t be fooled, they’ve still got that perfect outer crisp & crumble!
My sprouted buckwheat flour was looking at me straight in the eye & calling my name & I figured… CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, duh. But not just any! These ones are mind blowing. You need just a few ingredients, minimal prep & a hella lot of patience while they bake!
Buckwheat is an amazing source of fibre, plant-based protein & good carbs. It improves heart health by lowering cholesterol & blood pressure levels naturally. It contains tons of immunity-boosting & disease-fighting antioxidants, provides a highly digestible protein source (and it’s even easier on the body when it’s sprouted), boosts gut health, helps balance sugar levels & thereby prevents diabetes, contains no gluten & is totally non allergenic & supplies a good dose of important energy-boosting, bone-strengthening vitamins & minerals.
So what’s the deal with the ingredients in these babies?
- Buckwheat flour is very similar to bread flour in terms of the texture it provides for baked goods. I’m talking extra soft & chewy!
- Coconut oil is a great alternative to other unhealthier baking oils, such as vegetable & canola oil (which are often hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated & basically devoid of any nutrients they would’ve contained in the first place). It also adds a beautiful flavour to baked goods & tons of health benefits from fibre, to healthy fats, to amino acids, beneficial enzymes & energy boosting.
- Flax eggs are a great vegan substitute for regular eggs (although a regular egg would work fine in this recipe as well) & provide an additional source of healthy fats, plant protein, fibre & antioxidants, while improving gut health, regulating hormones & maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
- Vanilla extract. OH VANILLA, HOW I LOVE YOU! I always make sure to get pure organic vanilla extract & ALWAYS stay away from the artificial one. My favourite is by Simply Organic. You can also use almond, maple or coconut extract.
- Coconut sugar is a great healthier sugar substitute that is unrefined & contains tons of health benefits. It’s also a lot lower on the glycemic index than its refined counterparts.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS. OH BABY. You can use vegan dark chocolate chips like I did or your favourite chocolate chunks or chocolate bar chopped into chunks.
- Sea salt: DON’T FORGET THE SEA SALT. I swear, it really adds that little touch to the batter that balances super well with the natural sweetness of the coconut sugar! I mean, WHO DOESN’T LOVE A SWEET & SALTY COOKIE?
- 1 cup sprouted buckwheat flour (oat flour works too)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. pure organic vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted + cooled)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (mix 1 tbsp. ground flax with 3 tbsp. warm water & let sit for 5 minutes to gel up)
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 & line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Add all the ingredients (except the almond milk + chocolate chips) to a bowl & mix until a dough forms.
- Add the milk & mix to soften the batter.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into 12 balls & place on the cookie sheet. Press down on them to flatten slightly. Leave about an inch or 2 between them because they spread a bit!
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges turn golden brown. Don’t over-bake!
- Remove from the oven & let cool. They’ll firm up as they cool, even if they look fragile when fresh out ‘da oven!