Here’s yet another plant-based veggie burger recipe to add to your repertoire! Think of it as a delicious plate of pasta or a tomato basil pizza in patty form!
They’re deliciously crumbly & full of flavour, vegan, gluten, egg & refined sugar-free & full of protein from oats, hummus, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour & ground flax! This recipe actually happened mistakenly. I planned to make either lentil or bean patties but realized I was all out of EVERYTHING (Don’t you hate when that happens?). So… it was one of those challenge accepted situations where I had to figure out a veggie burger recipe mid meal-prep, oven on, dishes in sink & no time to leave the house to go get beans or lentils. THEN I THOUGHT… I WANT SOMETHING CRUMBLY. CRUMBLY… HMM… AND BOOM: OATMEAL.
Then I got to thinking about flavours & I started fantasizing about the beautiful organic sun-dried tomatoes I had in my fridge. And the rest is history!
I used one of these delicious patties as my main source of protein in my post-workout Buddha bowl last night after my workouts & OMG… SO YUM! Here’s some inspo:
- 1.5 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. organic chickpea flour (oat flour works too)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup organic sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 flax egg (add 1 tbsp. ground flax + 3 tbsp. warm water to a small bowl & let sit for 5 minutes to gel up)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. organic hummus
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Add the ingredients to a large mixing bowl & mix until combined & incorporated. You should be able to portion the patties out & flatten them without them falling apart.
- If you find the batter is having trouble holding together, add some more coconut aminos or water to make it a bit more moist.
- Portion the batter into 8-9 patties, place on the parchment-lined baking sheet & bake for 15-17 minutes, until the outsides are browned & crispy & bottoms have firmed up.