You guys… I have no words for this lunch besides OHMYGAWD. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys because it’s simple, easy, quick, wholesome, comforting, satisfying, full of flavour, plant-based & SO SO SO SO YUMMY!
I had it for lunch but you can easily make this as a side dish with a heartier lunch, dinner, or if you’re having guests over as a crowd-pleasing appetizer! The easiest way for this recipe to come together is if your sweet potatoes are already roasted ahead of time. But if not, worry not! I gotchu & I’ll tell you all about how I like to roast my sweet potatoes to perfection.
What’s in my boat, you ask?
- A perfectly roasted sweet potato as the base because DUH.
- 1/4 avocado
- Organic roasted garlic salsa
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lemon
- Chive + garlic vegan cashew cheese
- Nutritional yeast
- Organic sun-dried tomatoes
- Black pepper + dried parsley for garnish
If Mexican isn’t your jam, no problem! The most important part is your base (or should I say boat?!) & roasting it to perfection. How you stuff it is totally up to you! There are so many flavour combos that you can go for:
- Almond butter, Ceylon cinnamon & some nuts or seeds for a sweeter boat
- Mediterranean vibes? Stuff it with some Greek salad & feta cheese or chickpeas if you want a plant-based version
- Italian vibes? Stuff it with anything & everything you’d put on a pizza: vegan or regular cheese, marinara sauce, black olives, spicy peppers, chilli flakes, onions, green pepper &/or mushrooms
- Asian vibes? Top it with some roasted crispy eggplant, coconut aminos, Sriracha & throw on some sesame garlic or ginger chicken for added protein
- More plant-based ideas? Top it with quinoa, roasted chickpeas, black beans, sprouted micro-greens, hummus, Dijon mustard, homemade pestos or spreads…. the possibilities really are endless!
I love it just how I made it & let me tell you, IT TOOK ME TO ANOTHER PLACE. AND BY ANOTHER PLACE, I MEAN MEXICO. If I had black beans on hand, I probably would’ve thrown on 1/4 cup of them just to seal the deal with the Mexican-style vibes, but I ran out! TBH, I didn’t even miss the beans. THAT’S HOW FREAKING AWESOME THIS BOAT IS.
Without further ado, let me tell you how to make it YOURS!
- 1/2 or 1 whole sweet potato, roasted with skin on
- 2-3 tbsp. roasted garlic salsa
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro
- 1 heaping tbsp. vegan cashew cheese (I used the one by Spread ‘Em Kitchen)
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped organic unsweetened (& unsulphured) sun-dried tomatoes
- Sea salt, black pepper & dried parsley for garnish
- Roast your sweet potato:
- Preheat the oven to 425F & line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Wash the sweet potato really well (it’s always best to scrub the skin with a brush) & pat dry.
- Cut the potato lengthwise in half & place on the baking sheet, face down.
- Bake for 20 minutes & flip halfway so that the cut side is now facing upwards. Bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the potato is tender (check it with a knife).
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven, top with salsa, avocado, cilantro & the rest of your ingredients & toppings of choice.