I’m here today to present you with your favourite staple Chinese take-out order REDEFINED! This one is soon to become your NEW & IMPROVED FAVE. And get this… you won’t feel shitty after eating it because it’s made with just REAL WHOLESOME FOOD, but you’d never know it! I’m all about cooking with nutritious & healthy ingredients, but without compromising flavour!
Instead of using soy or Tamari sauce, I used coconut aminos, which has now become a staple in my kitchen! Yes, by staple, I mean it’s one of those things I run out to buy as soon as I get through a bottle!
Did you guys know that coconut aminos has 70% less sodium than soy sauce or Tamari & tons of beneficial enzymes, amino acids, & tastes just like soy, even better! The Naked Coconuts brand is made in small micro hand-made batches, so it’s as fresh & raw as can be! I swapped soy sauce out of my kitchen almost 2 years ago & I was never tempted to go back because of how great of a substitute coconut aminos is.
In case you haven’t already caught my drift, this chicken is my healthier take on MSG & refined sugar filled teriyaki chicken. The coconut aminos has such a naturally sweet & salty taste that you don’t even need or miss the added refined sugar that teriyaki chicken usually has. Hard to believe? The only way you’ll know is if you try!
And guess what? You don’t have to be discouraged or lazy about trying this recipe because it’s so flipping easy & quick to prepare! Besides that, what else is so great about it, you ask?
- It’s baked, not fried! The fact that it’s roasted makes it super crispy on the outside, but delicious & perfectly tender & cooked on the inside!
- Gluten & grain-free – no breading necessary!
- Full of flavour!
- Minimal ingredients!
- Super presentable if you’re having guests over & you want to wow them, both presentation & flavour-wise!
- Super versatile – use it with chicken wings, breast, thighs, legs or a whole chicken! You can even use this simple marinade on seafood, fish, beef, tofu/tempeh, chicken or turkey!
- 1 whole chicken, skin removed & cut up (OR any other protein of your choice)
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. minced onion
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. organic toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl & season with the marinade ingredients. Toss to coat.
- If you have extra time: Cover, refrigerate & let marinate for about 30 minutes. If not, proceed to the next step right away!
- Place the marinated chicken on the baking sheet, making sure not to pile the pieces.
- Bake at 400F for 30-35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, no longer pink & browned & crispy on the outside.
- Once baked, broil on high for 2-3 minutes to perfect that crisp! But watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
- ENJOY! 🙂