Guys, TRUST ME when I say that you want & NEED this recipe in your life.
They’re bursting with flavour, crispy, crunchy, crumbly, perfect for spreading your fave pestos, cashew or cream cheese, salsa, guac, chopped egg, tahini, hummus… the list goes on!
But get this… they’re so full of flavour, you’ll be perfectly content with just munching on them as is!
They’re vegan, gluten, egg, grain, nut, dairy & refined sugar free + lightly sweetened with yacon syrup. They’re also super easy & simple to make, requiring just a few ingredients & a little bit of patience. Yes, they take long-ish to make but they’re worth every minute of waiting, seriously. Plus, once you stick ‘em in the oven, all you gotta do is count down the minutes!
What’s in them? Chia, flax, hemp + pumpkin seeds, vegan “Parmesan”, sea salt, yacon syrup + water. That’s it!
So yes, that means they’re loaded with plant-based protein, fibre & healthy fats & make an excellent addition or complement to your meals or snacks! And they have that CRUNCH FACTOR! Crunch factor is key for me when it comes to savoury snacks like crackers because I find it really helps curb chip cravings in a healthier way! The key to getting them perfectly crunchy is to bake them at low temperature for a longer amount of time.
Wanna know more about why seeds are such a routine part of my diet? Check out my highlights on my Instagram page for the deets! Basically, I believe in the power of seeds to heal the body from the inside out because they’re powerhouses: full of fibre, plant based protein & essential + non essential amino acids, anti-inflammatory omega fatty acids, vitamins & minerals (iron, zinc, magnesium, antioxidants, calcium, vitamin C + E) & amazing for skin, bone, gut, digestive & hormone health, as well as for promoting protein synthesis & muscle strength. They’re a great way to add nutritional value to meals without adding bulk or feeling heavy!
Here are some tips for purchasing seeds:
- When it comes to flaxseed, always make sure it’s ground (or grind it yourself). In order for the pulp & beneficial oils of the flaxseed to be released, the seeds must go through the grinding process!
- As for chia seeds, certain studies have shown that consuming the seeds once they’re ground makes nutrient absorption enhanced & specifically increases the amounts of omega-fatty acids the body is able to absorb & use.
- If you find seeds irritate your digestion or make you feel uncomfortable, it’s always best to buy them sprouted! When sprouted, the enzyme inhibitors (usually in the form of phytic acid) are removed, which makes them easier on the digestive system & enhances nutrient absorption & content.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds
- 3 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. yacon syrup (or maple syrup)
- 3 tbsp. Vegan Parmesan or nutritional yeast
- Preheat your oven to 200F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, soak the flax & chia seeds in water for 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl & mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the lined baking sheet. I spread it with a rubber spatula & the back of a spoon.
- If you want the crackers to be the same size, use a bread knife to cut them into crackers of your desired size. Otherwise, bake it whole & crack ’em later.
- Bake at 200F for 1.5 hours. Flip it over & bake for another 1 – 1.5 hours. Turn the heat off & let it cool in the oven.
- Once cooled, break it into uneven pieces. ENJOY! 🙂